Galveston police warn of new scam targeting residents
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Galveston police are warning residents of another scam targeting their city.
Police say they've received complaints from several residents who say they've been getting calls from people claiming to be collecting donations on behalf the Galveston Police Department. Police say this donation solicitation is scam.
"We want to inform the public that we do not solicit money over the phone and that these calls are not authorized. The Department does not want these fake calls to detract from the positive work being done daily by our officers," the police department said in a statement.
Just last week, police warned residents about a scam involving fake municipal warrants. Police say callers are pretending to be real employees of law offices and scaring people into paying money or risk getting arrested.
Police say the Galveston Municipal Court does make calls to persons with warrants in an attempt to avoid their arrest, but in order to confirm the validity of a warrant notification, residents should call 409-765-3740, or visit the Galveston Municipal Court in person at 601 54th St., Suite 300. The court is open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 14 min ago
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy 24 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold 47 min ago
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait 38 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Video: Flu widespread in Harris County
- Sneak peek at rare art exhibit
49 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos