Galveston police warn of new scam targeting residents
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Galveston police are warning residents of another scam targeting their city.
Police say they've received complaints from several residents who say they've been getting calls from people claiming to be collecting donations on behalf the Galveston Police Department. Police say this donation solicitation is scam.
"We want to inform the public that we do not solicit money over the phone and that these calls are not authorized. The Department does not want these fake calls to detract from the positive work being done daily by our officers," the police department said in a statement.
Just last week, police warned residents about a scam involving fake municipal warrants. Police say callers are pretending to be real employees of law offices and scaring people into paying money or risk getting arrested.
Police say the Galveston Municipal Court does make calls to persons with warrants in an attempt to avoid their arrest, but in order to confirm the validity of a warrant notification, residents should call 409-765-3740, or visit the Galveston Municipal Court in person at 601 54th St., Suite 300. The court is open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 7 min ago
- HISD to decide fate of 2 schools at risk of closure
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Church offering drive-through prayers 2 min ago
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 56 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
36 min ago