Masked gunmen rob popular Galleria jewelry store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are looking for the masked men with guns who barged into the most well-known shopping mall in Houston and robbed some high-end custom jewelry.
On any given day, The Galleria is bustling with shoppers looking to spend money. But on Thursday night, there was also a group of criminals looking to pull off a heist at gunpoint.
Because of that robbery, the jewelry store did not open its Galleria location on Friday, but the owner did tell us fortunately he and his workers are OK.
It's called the jewelry store to the stars. It was in Johnny Dang and Company in the Galleria where it's popular owner and his workers were terrorized by a group of robbers Thursday night.
The Galleria shoppers familiar with the jeweler say they're shocked.
"He's real popular. All the rappers wear his jewelry," shopper Chinovea Smith said.
The store's owner, Johnny Dang, once allowed Eyewitness News cameras inside in his shop for an up-close look at his diamond-encrusted -- or blinged out -- high-dollar custom creations.
Police say these items are what the thieves were after Thursday night.
"I think it's very unfortunate, because a lot of people shop there. It's fine jewelry. Everyone wants to go and shop for jewelry and be safe," shopper Lamiracle Cristopher said.
Police say four men wearing masks barged their way into the Galleria store around 8:20pm Thursday. Two of the crooks were waving guns as the group pried open display cases and snatched watches and jewelry before running off.
"He's so popular and I thought security would be more strict, but obviously not," Smith said.
The Galleria general manager Greg Noble released a statement saying, in part:
"Whenever something like this occurs in our community, our primary concern is always for the safety of our customers and mall employees, and we are thankful no one was injured during this incident."
Johnny Dang was able to give Houston police surveillance video of that robbery.
Meanwhile, security was extra tight Friday at Dang's second location in Sharpstown.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to have chemo