Rash of thefts of deliveries from doorsteps in Heights neighborhood
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A package thief's been caught on camera, but despite the surveillance video, neighbors in one Heights neighborhood claim nothing is being done to protect their mail.
According to neighbors, at least three people have had their UPS or Fed Ex packages stolen from their doorstep. We made a few calls on Friday afternoon, and now police are on the case.
Last week, Peter Gerguis found an open Fed Ex box on the front doorstep of his Heights townhome.
"Two days before that, I had a really expensive work demo being delivered to my door. That's what I was concerned with," Gerguis said.
What he saw on his home surveillance video system shocked him. A woman was going through his trash, stealing his mail delivery.
Houston police now confirm a couple of similar cases in Gerguis' neighborhood. One of them was spotted by Lucy Torres' husband.
"My husband said, 'What are you doing with that box?' She said, 'I'm going to take it to that porch.' He said, 'If I see you around my house, I'm calling the police,'" Torres told us via a translator.
Torres and her neighbors say they believe they know who is responsible but she hasn't been arrested. Even one UPS supervisor acknowledged they're taking extra precaution in this "high-risk" neighborhood.
"UPS is pretty careful about not leaving the package. They want a signature, so much so that they've sent packages back -- unfortunately for me," neighbor Camilo Parra said.
But for Gerguis, who's now worried about receiving future packages after this theft, the additional measures are appreciated.
"Sometimes I won't know if I get a package. I'm not always notified if work is sending me something, so it's possible that I have a couple of packages missing and I don't even know about," Gerguis said.
A UPS supervisor says you should opt to sign for your packages. That way, you know you get them.
If caught, the lady in the video could be charged with mail theft, which is punishable by up to 5 years behind bars for each piece of stolen mail.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home