Political song lyrics offend some at school program
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An HISD principal is apologizing for what happened during an after-school program. It was supposed to be a celebration of Black History Month -- so why are some parents complaining?
The students involved at Katherine Smith Elementary in northwest Houston had no idea they were possibly doing something offensive, but some parents took it that way.
We obtained home video from a parent who was there as second graders sang and danced on Tuesday as part of a Black History Month assembly. Several songs at the assembly lavished praise on President Barack Obama, with lyrics, "Obama, Obama, this one's for you."
Meanwhile, another song had some criticism for former President George W. Bush, with lyrics including, "I tried to believe in George Bush. I tried to trust, but it's ashes to ashes now."
Grandmother Janice Hilton said, "I think it's time that we take a stand and say we're not going to do this anymore."
Hilton has two grandchildren who attend the school. She says she believes the assembly's political tone was inappropriate, so she brought her concerns to school administrators.
"I don't think there should be a president who is in office being celebrated like this," she said. "I don't care if it's Bush, I don't care if it's Clinton."
The Houston Independent School District released this statement: "This program was organized by three first-year teachers, who mistakenly failed to get the principal's approval to distribute the song lyrics. After reviewing the lyrics, the principal agrees that some of the songs were overly political and should not have been included in the program. The teachers who coordinated the program have been reminded that materials such as this must receive prior approval by the principal in the future. The principal apologizes to those who may have been offended by some of the lyrics that were included in the PTO program."
We tried to reach the PTO for comment, but have not heard back. The teachers involved are not expected to face any disciplinary action.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 25 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 54 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game