Lighter, oxygen tank spark fire in NE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A cigarette lighter and an oxygen tank sparked a fire last night in northeast Houston that left multiple families homeless.
The apartment building on Sterlingshire at Mesa started to burn around 10pm.
A woman who uses an oxygen machine says she reached for her cigarette lighter and lit it multiple times, causing the oxygen tank to catch fire.
The woman yelled for help and her son ran into the bedroom, grabbed her and took her outside.
Her son then ran back into the burning building to get his mom's portable oxygen tanks.
Four units were heavily damaged by the fire. Six additional units received smoke damage, but no one was hurt.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone