Sylvia Garcia wins runoff election for late Sen. Gallegos' Senate seat
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sylvia Garcia has won the runoff election to fill the Texas Senate seat of the late Mario Gallegos.
Gallegos died in October, but won the re-election in November posthumously. During the special election held last month, State Representative Carol Alvarado and former Harris County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia won the most votes but neither received the needed 50 percent majority.
On Saturday a runoff election was held to choose a winner.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Garcia has won the election, with 53 percent to Alvarado's 47 percent.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
election day, local
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 28 min ago
- Arctic cold front blows in
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?