Sylvia Garcia wins runoff election for late Sen. Gallegos' Senate seat
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sylvia Garcia has won the runoff election to fill the Texas Senate seat of the late Mario Gallegos.
Gallegos died in October, but won the re-election in November posthumously. During the special election held last month, State Representative Carol Alvarado and former Harris County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia won the most votes but neither received the needed 50 percent majority.
On Saturday a runoff election was held to choose a winner.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Garcia has won the election, with 53 percent to Alvarado's 47 percent.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
election day, local
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school 59 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
11 min ago