Sylvia Garcia wins runoff election for late Sen. Gallegos' Senate seat
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sylvia Garcia has won the runoff election to fill the Texas Senate seat of the late Mario Gallegos.
Gallegos died in October, but won the re-election in November posthumously. During the special election held last month, State Representative Carol Alvarado and former Harris County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia won the most votes but neither received the needed 50 percent majority.
On Saturday a runoff election was held to choose a winner.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Garcia has won the election, with 53 percent to Alvarado's 47 percent.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
election day, local
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte 28 min ago
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed 41 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston 28 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio 38 min ago
- Juneteenth celebrations being held in Galveston, Houston 40 min ago
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: NFL player's home searched after killing
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos