Judge rules to keep 'Baby Chloe,' newborn found abandoned in bag in Cypress, in care of foster parents
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A court hearing was held this morning concerning Baby Chloe, the newborn abandoned in a bag at a Cypress area apartment complex last month.
There is so much interest in this case that a Child Protective Services spokesperson told us she herself has received dozens of phone calls from people who want to adopt Baby Chloe. But today's hearing was not about that.
This morning's hearing was regarding the status of the baby's foster parents. The judge ruled in favor of keeping Baby Chloe in CPS protective custody, which means that she will remain with the same family with whom she's resided since last Monday.
That family is certified as a foster and an adoptive family, but of course the adoption process would be a long way off if this family indeed does get to adopt her.
The case began on February 19 when the baby was found wrapped in a plastic bag and abandoned near a fence line at an apartment complex in Cypress.
She was taken to Texas Children's Hospital for treatment and then the baby, nicknamed Chloe by her nurses, was placed in a foster home.
Her parents so far have not come forward and authorities released sketches last week of what the parents may look like.
The judge said right now keeping the baby with the foster family is in her best interest. Baby Chloe is doing very well and is healthy after being born at only 4 pounds 12 ounces.
The next hearing is scheduled for March 25.
These hearings do not involve the termination of parental rights, which is a very lengthy process. They want to make sure that the parents have every opportunity to come forward and claim their child.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust