Marijuana smell leads authorities to suspected pot growing operation in Montgomery County
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A tip has led to the arrest of a man accused of turning his Montgomery County home into his personal pot farm, deputies say.
The sheriff's department raided the house on Fish Creek Thoroughfare overnight Tuesday.
This operation was approaching a million dollars and this suspected pot grower did his best as to not tip off his energy provider to the large amount of electricity his needed to keep his indoor farm up and running.
Acting on a tip, the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office Special Investigations Unit responded to this home in the 100 block of Fish Creek Thoroughfare. Once they met the resident, 54-year-old Hien Van Tran, deputies also smelled a strong odor of marijuana.
A search of the home revealed about a 170 marijuana plants growing in just about every room. They have a total value of about $750,000.
"With marijuana plants in various rooms of the home with lights all set up," Montgomery County Sheriff's Office Lt. Dan Norris said.
Several of the grow lamps were also confiscated by deputies along with several other pieces of equipment, including different types of soils.
Agents also discovered that Tran bypassed the home's original electric meter to keep his larger-than-normal power usage off the grid.
A look at it during the day shows a separate electrical line was set up to solely feed the needs of the $750,000 grow operation.
"This was put in specifically to fuel the grow operation -- those lights and equipment," Norris said.
Tran is charged with possession of marijuana and faces additional charges. The confiscated marijuana will be weighed and then destroyed at a local facility in Montgomery County.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, erik barajas
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 3 min ago
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 6 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 52 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church