Houston pawn shop robbery caught on camera, suspects at large
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are searching for two men who held up a pawn shop at gunpoint Tuesday. The incident was caught on camera.
It happened just before 11am at the Cash America in the 13700 block of Almeda near Anderson.
Surveillance video from inside the shop shows one suspect brazenly leap over the counter and confront employees. He and the other the thief forced those inside to the ground as they raided the cash registers. The suspects were wearing hoodies and their faces were covered.
"That's very unsettling to me," customer Rita Williams said. "I could have been in here this morning. Thank God I wasn't."
The suspects forced employees to give them access to cases of jewelry on display. In surveillance footage, you can see how they quickly grabbed that as well.
The thieves didn't tie up any employees or injure them, according to police, although they did repeatedly threaten them with their guns, as you can see in the video. Both were armed.
They were in and out of the store though in a matter of minutes. You can see them running to a car waiting in the pawn shop parking lot.
Police found what they believe might be that vehicle just over a mile away, ditched in the middle of a neighborhood right next to a playground. We spoke to a longtime customer who asked not to be identified. He said the robbery is unfortunate, but it's comforting to know that no one was hurt.
"This could pretty much happen anywhere you go," he said. "We just have to be a little more cautious about where you are. It could happen at any time."
Suspect descriptions are vague because the thieves were well-disguised. They're looking for two men and possibly a woman. If you have any information on this crime, you are asked to call Houston police are Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 59 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 23 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Suspected drunk driver in Atascocita fatal crash due in court 20 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student