Flags at half staff at CITGO's Houston headquarters to mourn Hugo Chavez's death
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is being observed here in the oil industry capital of Houston.
SkyEye 13 HD flew over the CITGO Petroleum Corporation headquarters on Eldridge Parkway where flags were at half staff on Wednesday. We contacted the company and they did tell us that the gesture was to mourn the passing of Chavez, who lost his battle to cancer on Tuesday. CITGO is owned by Venezuela's national oil company.
The American flag appeared to be slightly higher than the other half-staff flags, which include Venezuela and Texas.
CITGO released a statement Wednesday which read, "President Hugo Chávez of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela leaves behind a legacy of support for the underprivileged and promotion of social justice that transcends geographical boundaries. We at CITGO Petroleum Corporation are deeply saddened by the news of his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and the people of Venezuela in this time of grief."
According to CITGO's website, the company has an energy assistance program partnership with the country called the CITGO-Venezuela Heating Oil Program. The website says, "During the years of the program, it has helped more than 1.7 million people stay warm during the coldest months of winter, by donating more than 200 million gallons of heating oil worth more than $400 million."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 56 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911 23 min ago
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 13 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man