Wheelchair-bound woman says she was denied service at salon
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- What was supposed to be a nice day out for a Houston woman celebrating her birthday turned into an insulting disappointment. Now her family is trying to get the wrong rectified.
Just getting out of the house for Petra Deleon is a challenge.
"I have a spinal cord injury and I have a broken neck," Deleon said.
Going somewhere is even more so. It's a process that requires plenty of help and patience, with the goal being no wasted trips.
So when Deleon got to Chelsea Nails on East Crosstimbers on Monday as a birthday treat to herself, she expected to be there for a couple hours -- not the few minutes it turned out to be.
"I was in shock because it was very unexpected," she said.
Deleon says when she and her daughter-in-law, Holly Ellis, inquired about a manicure and pedicure for her, she was turned away.
"She said, 'Is she normal?' She's like, 'What do you mean?' She said, 'Can she sit in our chairs?' And she said, 'No.' and she said, 'Well we can't help her,'" Deleon said.
And Deleon says they wouldn't even let her wheel herself up to the table for a manicure.
"I was speechless. I didn't know what to say and the look on her face just made me feel worse," Ellis said.
We asked the manager, Lien Vu, about how Deleon was treated.
"I didn't meant to hurt anybody. I have a lot of customers like that in that way," she said.
Vu said they couldn't do a pedicure because she couldn't sit in the spa chair but she could do a manicure.
"Would you offer the service for free as a nice gesture?" we asked her.
"Why?" she said.
Deleon likely won't go back. She is now just hoping for an apology and for it to be the last time it happens.
"I'm just speaking out to make sure no one else feels embarrassed," Deleon said.
Deleon's brother has filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and has also contacted the mayor's office. Deleon was recently paralyzed in a bus accident and her family says this experience has opened their eyes to the possibility of discrimination.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, jessica willey
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded 42 min ago
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop 49 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl 14 min ago
- Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old
- Magnitude-6.2 quake hits Chile's northern coast 47 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 11 min ago
- Last words from missing jet came after shutdown
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover