Fatal wreck causes five-hour closure of 610 North at Jensen
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A fatal accident forced crews to close all eastbound lanes of I-610 North Loop at Jensen during rush hour Thursday.
Around 3:20pm Thursday, a van traveling eastbound rear-ended an 18-wheeler that had slowed due to brake failure. A male victim from the van was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Soon after, authorities closed three main lanes and one shoulder, and traffic quickly had backed up to Shepherd.
Then an hour later, crews were forced to shut down the entire highway to clean up the aftermath. All lanes were shut down for five and a half hours, turning the afternoon commute into a nightmare for commuters in the area.
The scene finally was cleared around 9:45pm.
The 24-year-old victim's identity has not been released. The 18-wheeler driver was not injured. ___________________________________________________________
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 30 min ago
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush 28 min ago
- No more ice, but cold weather continues