Fatal wreck causes five-hour closure of 610 North at Jensen
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A fatal accident forced crews to close all eastbound lanes of I-610 North Loop at Jensen during rush hour Thursday.
Around 3:20pm Thursday, a van traveling eastbound rear-ended an 18-wheeler that had slowed due to brake failure. A male victim from the van was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Soon after, authorities closed three main lanes and one shoulder, and traffic quickly had backed up to Shepherd.
Then an hour later, crews were forced to shut down the entire highway to clean up the aftermath. All lanes were shut down for five and a half hours, turning the afternoon commute into a nightmare for commuters in the area.
The scene finally was cleared around 9:45pm.
The 24-year-old victim's identity has not been released. The 18-wheeler driver was not injured. ___________________________________________________________
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 25 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 1 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 28 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 38 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 8 min ago
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 17 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words 7 min ago
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 23 min ago