Shelter at capacity, animals in need of forever home
RALEIGH -- Every cage is full at the Wake County Animal Shelter.
More animals are coming in every day, but with no place to put them, some have to be put down.
The shelter is currently in desperate need of people to adopt and foster dogs because there's simply no room for them. There are several puppies, as well as adult dogs, all in need of a forever home.
"We've had a lot of owner surrenders. Some days we can have 40 animals brought in," Jennifer Federico with the Wake County Animal Shelter said.
In the past month, the center lost dozens of kennels to a renovation project.
"Fortunately we have a lot of rescues and fosters step up to board our dogs, but we are still full," Federico said.
Right now the facility accepts animals every day, and as the weather gets warmer, the need for people to adopt becomes even more dire.
"In the summer we get full to capacity. We have puppy and kitten season, we have a lot more strays being found."
The shelter tries its best to let the dogs stay as long as possible, but at some point they are forced to make room for others.
The adoption fee to adopt a dog at the Wake County Animal Shelter is $45. There is also a $50 fee to have the dog spayed or neutered if it has not been already.
For each adoption, the shelter gives the new owner food and takes care of any necessary vet services.
For more information on adoptions and to see all available dogs, visit the Wake County Animal Shelter's website.
wake county, local/state, anna laurel
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 26 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep 18 min ago
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month 15 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- 'We are burying a body,' suspects tell police
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 34 min ago
- Sunday's mutton bustin' at RodeoHouston
37 min ago