Montgomery County wants residents' input on economic growth
THE WOODLANDS, TX (KTRK) -- Business is really booming in Montgomery County. And now residents are being asked to weigh in on the future of development in their area.
Montgomery County is booming, and it's not just The Woodlands. From Conroe to Magnolia and Montgomery there is growth, and they're happy to have it.
"That is one of the strongest agreements in the county," said Joanne Ducharme with Montgomery County Community Development. "People do not want to restrict growth. They've got their arms open. They're welcoming people to move here."
But managing that growth is another issue all together. That's why Ducharme is heading an all-inclusive survey to find out what residents want and what they need.<P "The citizens of Montgomery County, all of them across the board, are paying for these projects. And so the citizens need to have input into what projects we do," Ducharme said.
Five years ago, there were concerns about health care and transportation for the low income, elderly, and disabled. The county built new facilities all over the county to meet those needs. This time the surveys are coming back talking about jobs.
Ducharme explained, "There's much more concern about economic development programs, enhancing this area as a desirable place for businesses to move."
Part of the effort includes 20 focus groups.
"They're not bashful. They're very candid," said Fred Thompson of Thompson Consulting. "It provides people with an opportunity to say something about how the community is growing, how it is evolving."
It's not too late. The county still wants to hear what you think. If you're interested, you can fill out a survey at the Montgomery County Community Development website.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
the woodlands, local, tom abrahams
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive