Road work worries Galleria area business owners
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Get ready for a couple of lane closures on bridges in the Galleria area as the Harris County Flood Control District continues to work on a new drainage channel.
The heavily traveled shopping area along Westheimer, just inside the Loop, will be a traffic nightmare because of plans to replace an old bridge.
Construction has already started on this project just off of Westheimer. On March 10, crews will actually be shutting part of Westheimer down for about a month. That's a worry for customers, commuters and business owners.
It's a piece of road notorious in Houston for traffic -- Westheimer and Mid Lane, next to the Highland Village shopping center. So when people hear two lanes of Westheimer will close Sunday for construction, usiness owners along Westheimer aren't thrilled either.
Chef Kiran Verma has run her upscale restaurant in the area for eight years. In the back, kitchen workers make tiramisu and samosas. But just feet from the front door, construction workers are about to shut down the road. .
She said, "I just hope and pray it's not going to affect business because we are still a very small business."
Chef Kiran says she'll post alternate driving routes on social media and she hopes people will bring their appetites, and their patience.
"Every guest counts a lot," she said.
The closures are scheduled for the Westheimer and San Felipe bridges over the drainage channel inside the 610 West Loop. They're being closed so that the 50-year-old bridges can be demolished and replaced to accommodate new reinforced concrete box culverts.
Traffic on the Westheimer bridge will be down to one lane in each direction for a month. Work on the San Felipe bridge will begin in the summer of 2013. In that closure, all lanes will be closed for up to two weeks.
For more information on the closures, check the Harris County Flood Control District at www.hcfcd.org/W129 or call the Flood Control District's Project and Study Information Line at 713-684-4040.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, adela uchida
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 4 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Live chat about blood donations
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport 46 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home