Road work worries Galleria area business owners
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Get ready for a couple of lane closures on bridges in the Galleria area as the Harris County Flood Control District continues to work on a new drainage channel.
The heavily traveled shopping area along Westheimer, just inside the Loop, will be a traffic nightmare because of plans to replace an old bridge.
Construction has already started on this project just off of Westheimer. On March 10, crews will actually be shutting part of Westheimer down for about a month. That's a worry for customers, commuters and business owners.
It's a piece of road notorious in Houston for traffic -- Westheimer and Mid Lane, next to the Highland Village shopping center. So when people hear two lanes of Westheimer will close Sunday for construction, usiness owners along Westheimer aren't thrilled either.
Chef Kiran Verma has run her upscale restaurant in the area for eight years. In the back, kitchen workers make tiramisu and samosas. But just feet from the front door, construction workers are about to shut down the road. .
She said, "I just hope and pray it's not going to affect business because we are still a very small business."
Chef Kiran says she'll post alternate driving routes on social media and she hopes people will bring their appetites, and their patience.
"Every guest counts a lot," she said.
The closures are scheduled for the Westheimer and San Felipe bridges over the drainage channel inside the 610 West Loop. They're being closed so that the 50-year-old bridges can be demolished and replaced to accommodate new reinforced concrete box culverts.
Traffic on the Westheimer bridge will be down to one lane in each direction for a month. Work on the San Felipe bridge will begin in the summer of 2013. In that closure, all lanes will be closed for up to two weeks.
For more information on the closures, check the Harris County Flood Control District at www.hcfcd.org/W129 or call the Flood Control District's Project and Study Information Line at 713-684-4040.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, adela uchida
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 3 min ago
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year 34 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake' 2 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today 7 min ago
- Female libido drug remains in limbo 19 min ago
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos