Suspected burglars caught on roof of west Houston business
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two suspected burglars were caught red-handed overnight in west Houston, police say, and our cameras were rolling as they were arrested.
The suspects were allegedly trying to steal copper wire from air conditioning units at J&S Audio Visual on Westview near North Post Oak.
Eyewitness News was there as the two suspects scooted down the ladder of a Houston Fire Department fire truck in handcuffs. Police say they caught the men on the roof of J&S Audio Visual, allegedly trying to steal copper. An employee who stopped by around midnight to get some personal things called police.
"You could hear people on the roof up there, and it's awfully strange to have that happen at midnight," employee Robert Conley said.
J&S Audio Visual general manager Tracy Punch says it's at least the third time the building's been targeted. Thieves on other occasions have cut and removed copper power lines on the roof.
It's a headache when you're trying to run a business, Punch says.
"It's certainly a major inconvenience because everything we do is electronic and computer driven, so it really takes us offline for a little bit," he said.
Behind the business, you can see they put a parking boot on their own truck. Punch says thieves have stolen parts off the truck, including the battery, which costs about $1,200.
"They've stolen the batteries off the trucks, the tires off the trucks, literally taking the tire off the rim," Punch said.
Punch says the property owner provides a security patrol, but the security officer doesn't stay the entire night. He's hoping Saturday morning's arrests put an end to the thefts.
"Glad they caught them this time and I'd really love to see them put a fence around this place. That would certainly be a good deterrent as well," he said.
The two men face burglary charges. Their names have not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 37 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake 11 min ago
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Amber Alert issued for missing 18-month-old child 4 min ago
- Baby found in trash bag can have new parents 1 min ago
- Autopsy ordered on Texas City inmate who died
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- IRS official Lois Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong' 47 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- 1 killed, 3 students hurt in school bus accident in East TX
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos