Blood drive at ABC13 sees 91 donors
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The official numbers are in for the spring blood drive at the ABC13 studios on Friday.
Thanks to help from our viewers, we were able to potentially save up to 261 lives with the donations collected at ABC13 on Friday.
We had 91 donors -- an increase in our number from last year!
Of those 91 donors, 62 gave whole blood. Each of those donations saves up to three lives. We also had 17 people make donations by apheresis, or a separation of the blood parts. Nine of those gave red cell plasma and eight made double red cell donations. One double red cell donation can save up to six lives each.
If you missed the drive here at our studios, it's not too late. The ABC13 Spring Blood Drive is going on through Monday at all Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Neighborhood Donor Centers, and you can donate year-round at those locations as well.
More than 1,000 blood donations are needed every day in the Texas Gulf Coast region. For more information, visit www.giveblood.org.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home