Store clerk shoots, kills suspected robber near NE Harris County shopping center
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A clerk says he had to use deadly force to stop a gunman from robbing a business in northeast Harris County.
It happened at a smoke shop called Northside 420 in the 11900 block of the Eastex Freeway near Winfield.
Police say the gunman walked into the store and pointed a gun at the clerk, demanding cash. But the clerk turned the tables on the robber and pulled out his own gun and fired multiple times at the suspect.
The suspect stumbled out of the store and collapsed in the parking lot.
"He came out of the store and he fell out right there in the parking lot," said Sgt. Felipe Rivera with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "At this time, I don't know how many times he was struck, although we know there were multiple shots."
When deputies found the suspect's body, he still had what they say was a pellet gun.
The clerk was not injured in the shooting.
A grand jury will decide whether the clerk should face charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- Will the mascots remain the same? 41 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- House approves budget bill; now goes to Senate 32 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating'
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site