Delta plane gets stuck off runway at Hobby Airport
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A plane loaded with passengers veered off a runway and became stuck in the grass at Hobby Airport this morning.
The Delta Connection flight is still grounded on the runway waiting to be towed. The plane, operated by Pinnacle Airlines, was headed to Atlanta with 76 passengers on board. Some of those people are still waiting to take off.
Around 7am, passengers aboard Delta Connection Flight 4302 found themselves on the ground rather than in the air. According to the FAA, the pilot reported a communications problem and while returning to the gate, ended up taxiing onto the grass. Passenger Ahsan Akhlaq spoke to us from the plane.
"While making a turn, it seemed like apparently he got off the tarmac and on the grass and the wheels got stuck and he had to just screech to a halt. And the pilot announced it was a faulty gear mechanism," Akhlaq told us.
In all, 76 passengers and four crew members remained on board for an hour until being bussed back to the terminal and rebooked onto later flights. We talked to other Delta passengers waiting for their flights to Atlanta.
"It must've been frightening for them, but I need to have someone tell me what's going on so I can get on my flight in a timely manner," said Helen Pivirotto.
Eric Parson told us, "I wouldn't want it to happen on my flight, of course, because I have things to do, so I like to be on schedule so hopefully everything goes according to plan."
Paige Atsalis' 11am flight to Atlanta is now delayed, and as a result, so is her Spring Break.
"Our connection was originally we'd arrive in Atlanta at 2 and our flight would leave at 3. So now we're arriving at 2:30 and we might be scheduled on a 4:45 flight from Atlanta. So a little bit of a delay, but hopefully we'll arrive there by this evening," Atsalis said.
No injuries were reported.
The FAA is investigating the incident. Runway 12R will remain closed until the CRJ-900 aircraft can be properly towed.
A spokesperson for the Houston Airport System says the plane is not causing any traffic disruption on the runway.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
hobby airport, local, sonia azad
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Winter Weather advisory for several local counties
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished Sunday
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- Rice wins C-USA title with 41-24 win over Marshall
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Drivers stuck on icy I-35 as cold blast hits Texas
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea