Galveston area expecting big spring break numbers this year
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- spring break is underway and for business owners on Galveston Island it's one of their busiest times of the year. They are predicting a very good week.
The number of tourists in Galveston has really picked up throughout the day and fun and sun for them will translate into dollars and cents for the island.
On this brilliantly sunny spring break day, vacationers are hard to miss.
"We are from Lubbock, Texas. We are here for spring break -- me and my four children," said Chika Umezurike.
Some folks hit the beaches early, with 60-degree temperatures and brisk wind bringing out everything from sweatshirts to bikinis.
The mild weather is expected to only get better as the week of spring break winds on. That's good news for the Galveston Convention and Visitor's Bureau.
"We're expecting a great crowd this year. We're expecting between 300,000 and 500,000 visitors," said Ivette Wilhelm with the Galveston Convention and Visitor's Bureau.
The Pleasure Pier is the newest big attraction bringing people to the seawall.
"Since its soft opening last year, we are experiencing a great deal more visitors," Wilhelm said.
The focus here is fun in the sun.
"spring break is awesome in Galveston, Texas, and we just skate on the beach every day," said Tyler Carpenter.
And maybe spending a few dollars to do it.
"Today I'm off and I just wanted to get out and do something," Samantha Meyers said.
That's something certainly welcomed by the hotels, restaurants and shops that depend on these visitors.
"We're expecting a lot visitors, especially now that the weather's warming up this week so we're expecting to see a lot of spring breakers out here," said Wilhelm.
If you're planning a day trip from the Houston area, keep in mind a lot of Galveston attractions have extended hours this week. For example, Moody Gardens is open until 8pm.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
galveston, local, adela uchida
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home