Some small businesses arming, training themselves in preparation for robberies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some small businesses are going to extra lengths to protect themselves and their employees.
As detectives worked the scene of a smoke shop robbery on the Eastex Freeway on Sunday night, the ending was one that's becoming more familiar. Police say the shop clerk shot and killed a man attempting to rob them.
"There are people who are defending themselves more nowadays than in the past," Houston Police Department Sgt. Felipe Rivera said.
At The Arms Room in League City, enrollment in conceal and carry handgun classes have almost tripled since the beginning of the year. Many students go on to practice in drills at the range.
Instructor Brian Mobley says there is no typical student. Women and business owners are a growing part of it.
"That four- or five-minute wait for the cops to get there can be a long time while you are by yourself, and having a gun and knowing how to use that gun can be awful comforting in the time you are waiting for the cops to show up," Mobley said.
Mobley says Monday's class was a small one compared to what they've been seeing.
Santa Fe business owner David Leining was among the students.
"You have to be prepared. You have to watch. Just like this place right here, they have to watch everybody that comes through that door," Leining said. "It's the same thing we do. We have video cameras on the outside of the building so we get a preview of who is rolling up."
Leining was well aware of the situation Sunday night on the Eastex Freeway, and while he hopes he never find himself in that position, passing his test today prepares him in case he does.
"I would hate to think I'd have to do that," Leining said. "But if it came down to me or my employees or family, then that's a choice I'm just going to have to make."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, christine dobbyn
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos