Woman accused of practicing dentistry without license, busted during undercover sting
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman working as a dentist was ready to pull teeth and add a set of dentures to an undercover patient, but investigators say she is not a licensed dentist.
Still in her blue scrubs, Yuanjin Chen faced a judge for working on patients that thought she was a dentist. The 46-year-old was not speaking to reporters as she exited the courtroom. However, the man with her did try to attack a photographer.
It was an antonymous tip that led to a sting at her southwest Houston Well Care Dental Clinic. An undercover officer and witness made an appointment.
"The witness sat in a chair as the officer observed the defendant actually took out a dental tool and had the witness open his mouth actually started performing a procedure and checking his teeth," said Harris County Assistant District Attorney Anthony Robinson.
Chen then told the undercover witness and officer that he needed several teeth extracted and upper and lower dentures added for a price of almost $2,000. Chen was arrested March 11 at the clinic for practicing dentistry without a license.
We went to the her clinic in the 9800 block of Bellaire Blvd. They where still open, but not saying if they were still seeing patients.
Adding to Chen's troubles, investigators are also questioning her residency.
"The defendant also stated that she has a green card at this point in time that is still being looked at," said Robinson. "She may be undocumented and not here legally.
Chen, 46, is now out on $55,000 bond and faces two to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Experts say if you ever have questions about a dentist and want to check complaints on them, you can find all the information you need on the website of the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, erik barajas
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1 5 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John... 44 min ago
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians