Man found shot to death in middle of street in Houston's Sunnyside neighborhood
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Residents in Houston's Sunnyside neighborhood awoke to the sound of gunfire early this morning, and when the smoke cleared a man was dead in the street.
This Sunnyside neighborhood is one in transition with old homes next to new. What is not new, according to neighbors, is the kind of crime which happened here this morning.
"About 4 o'clock I guess I heard about four gunshots and that's the norm. I didn't pay it any attention. And then about 5:30, my sister told me police were down there," said resident Curtis Dockery.
Officers were called to the intersection of Comal and Hondo to find a 38-year-old man shot dead in the middle of the street. The woman who called 911 didn't see anyone, but reached out to police after hearing the gunfire.
Investigators tell us the information they have from witnesses is scant. Many who heard the gunfire say they only heard the sound, but didn't see anyone. Police are working to confirm who the victim is and how he ended up here.
"I don't see anything out of the ordinary. No cars in the ditch or sitting on the side of the road or that looked suspicious or unusual," said Sgt. Billy Bush with HPD Homicide Division.
Neighbors, some who don't want to be identified, say they did see a vehicle driving in the area around the time of shooting. Police are working with that information, but know they need more.
"They shoot around here all the time, you can't be scared, you just got to be aware," said one neighbor who didn't want to appear on camera.
Authorities say right they have no suspects and are still trying to figure out what led to the deadly shooting.
"It's a little nerve wracking because I have a young son and I do wonder what happened," neighbor Antoinette Waring said.
Police say they did find an ID on the victim, but they want to confirm the identity with the medical examiner's office.
If you have any information, you are urged to call the Houston Police Department.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped 49 min ago
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time! 11 min ago
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera 43 min ago
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Restaurant apologizes for racist sign
- Police chase emu down I-35 near Austin 13 min ago
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak