Baytown shooting leaves man injured, neighbors on edge
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- It's not what anyone in a Baytown neighborhood expected to see Friday morning: a man running out of a house, covered with blood. And still, several hours later, there are still many questions as to what happened.
The people who were in the house when the shooting happened have been interviewed by investigators at the Baytown Police Department.
In the meantime, neighbors say they've heard a lot of gunfire recently and they think it's been coming from the same house.
It started out as a quiet morning in Baytown's Lakewood subdivision.
"I was walking my dog," neighbor Johnny Johnson said.
But a gunshot rang out around 9am, and a young man ran from a house in the 300 block of Lakewood Drive, through the backyard and down the street, with trailing blood behind him.
"He was standing over in the yard and there was blood all over him," Johnson said.
Johnson called 9-1-1.
"Then he came over in the yard and I just sat him down. He'd been shot right in the upper part of his leg," Johnson said.
The man was transported to the hospital and investigators got to work on the crime scene.
But it's not the first time gun shots have been fired in the neighborhood recently.
"We were outside and about 12:30, we hear this one gunshot," neighbor Kerstie Calhoun said.
Neighbors think the gunfire came from that same house in the 300 block of Lakewood Drive.
"For the past three nights we've heard gunshots," neighbor Linda Munoz said.
Neighbors say it appears a group of men in their early 20's lives there now, although they're not sure if Friday morning's shooting victims is one of them.
The victim himself wasn't much help, at least not Friday morning.
"I asked him who shot him, he said he didn't know. And I asked him where he came from, he said back there somewhere. He said he was at his girlfriend's house but he couldn't even tell me her name," Johnson said.
Baytown police are interviewing everyone who was in the house Friday morning. Meanwhile, neighbors are left to worry about what's going on in the house on the corner.
"When you hear gunshots for the last two nights and then here all of a sudden somebody's shot, it makes you wonder," Johnson said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
baytown, local, adela uchida
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game