Driver injured after car crashes through NW Harris Co. home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family in northwest Harris County will have to spend the weekend cleaning up and repairing their home after someone drove through it.
Around 6pm, a truck drove into a home at the end of a cul-de-sac on Strong Creek and Creek Mountain.
The runaway car went over a curb, down a sidewalk and eventually into and through a garage while the homeowner was inside.
"The house shook, sounded like a big explosion, big boom. And then all a sudden, the power went out. The home alarm started going off," homeowner Jack Windham said.
For good reason. Brick veneer, as well as the contents of the garage, were everywhere. The car was crumpled and the driver was injured and taken by ambulance to a hospital.
"Witnesses say that the driver stopped at the stop sign legally and then at that point suffered some type of medical emergency, which the family confirmed that he does have a history of medical emergencies," said Matt Cline with the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department.
The house is without electricity because, along with the wall, the electrical meter was torn out. Down the street, another car had a brush with the runaway vehicle.
"Yeah it ran over the trees and car," resident Katie Hernandez said.
Consider though that this is spring break and it's a neighborhood full of young children, who could have been in the car's path.
It's gotten parents' attention.
"Usually I never let them out by themselves anyway, but they're not coming down here at all," neighbor Naureen Saleem said.
The homeowner will be staying with relatives nearby to keep an eye on their home until repairs are made.
The name of the driver has not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
cypress fairbanks, local, deborah wrigley
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Man collapses in street and dies in SW Houston
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Suspect to bank teller: 'I'm having a bad day' 7 min ago
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot 30 min ago
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Lombardi Award finalists hang with kids from TCH 35 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident
- 5 Things to Know for Today
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos