Driver injured after car crashes through NW Harris Co. home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family in northwest Harris County will have to spend the weekend cleaning up and repairing their home after someone drove through it.
Around 6pm, a truck drove into a home at the end of a cul-de-sac on Strong Creek and Creek Mountain.
The runaway car went over a curb, down a sidewalk and eventually into and through a garage while the homeowner was inside.
"The house shook, sounded like a big explosion, big boom. And then all a sudden, the power went out. The home alarm started going off," homeowner Jack Windham said.
For good reason. Brick veneer, as well as the contents of the garage, were everywhere. The car was crumpled and the driver was injured and taken by ambulance to a hospital.
"Witnesses say that the driver stopped at the stop sign legally and then at that point suffered some type of medical emergency, which the family confirmed that he does have a history of medical emergencies," said Matt Cline with the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department.
The house is without electricity because, along with the wall, the electrical meter was torn out. Down the street, another car had a brush with the runaway vehicle.
"Yeah it ran over the trees and car," resident Katie Hernandez said.
Consider though that this is spring break and it's a neighborhood full of young children, who could have been in the car's path.
It's gotten parents' attention.
"Usually I never let them out by themselves anyway, but they're not coming down here at all," neighbor Naureen Saleem said.
The homeowner will be staying with relatives nearby to keep an eye on their home until repairs are made.
The name of the driver has not been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
cypress fairbanks, local, deborah wrigley
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 24 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery