Dickinson's lone African American cemetery gets some TLC
DICKINSON, TX (KTRK) -- It was a hard day of work for volunteers at a local historical cemetery on Saturday, but they say it was worth it.
Magnolia Cemetery is the only African-American cemetery in Dickinson. But years of neglect was taking a toll on the site until residents in that community stepped in.
The yard work was long overdue there.
"It wasn't overtaken, but it was time for it to be touched up," Mount Carmel Missionary Baptist Church Pastor Lewis Little said.
Pastor Little, a member of the Dickinson Ministerial Alliance, says it is the only African-American cemetery in Dickinson. It is the final resting place for generations of families, including those of volunteer Alma Hobbs Little's.
"It's a lot of history here and I have grand kids, and a great grandchild, and I just want them to know their foundation, where they came from, the roots of it all," Alma Little said.
There has been some upkeep over the years. The cemetery had been mowed but needed some tender loving care.
"A lot of my ancestors have been buried her, people that I've known," volunteer Deacon Marvin Colbert said. "It's just a blessing to make it look like this."
But there is more than one blessing in this cleanup effort.
"This is our community come together and it's always more than I expect. The god that I serve he gives us more than we need," Pastor Little said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
dickinson, local, elissa rivas
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies 16 min ago
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale