Local church celebrates 148th anniversary in unique way
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A west Houston church celebrated 148 years of service Sunday and they did it in a unique way. Instead of just paying tribute to the church's history, the church members decided to take a trip to the past.
If the music and the period dress could tell a story on this Sunday at Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church, it would be one of celebration of 148 years.
"We're representing the 148 years. This is the way they dressed back in the olden days. They wore bonnets," said church member Rosemary Whiteing.
She can testify that the small church where she and her family grew up has come a long way.
"This is what the church looked like years ago," she said. "I'm 73 years old and I've been a member of Pilgrim Rest all my life."
In a backroom, an extensive collection of memories are shared by 85-year-old J.D. Sykes, who recalls becoming an usher 58 years ago.
"At that time they were wearing black shirts, white pants and white ties. I had the white pants and white tie and brother Ciphers say, don't worry about it. I got a black shirt. So I became an usher the same day I united with the church," Sykes. said.
From the sanctuary to the parking lot nearly a century and a half of precious memories; and members hope they'll be celebrating for generations to come.
"Another 148 years," said Sykes.
Whiteing told us, "I'm very proud to be a member of Pilgrim Rest."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, samica knight
- Outlet mall shoppers get scare on Sunday 56 min ago
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex 40 min ago
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old 1 min ago
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Rockets fall to Heat for third straight loss
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover