Mom drops her kid to flee authorities; has medical emergency while being taken into custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sheriff's deputies say a woman dropped her young child in a gas station parking lot while fleeing authorities in Montgomery County.
Deputies were trying to do a welfare check on the woman but when she spotted them at the station on State Highway 242, she dropped the child and ran across the highway and down the embankment of Caney Creek.
One deputy stayed with the child and another ran after her. Deputies say she swam across the river and the deputy crossed on some rocks and followed. He was able to catch the mother, but while he was escorting her back to the car she had some sort of medical emergency.
She was eventually evacuated using a fire truck's rescue basket and taken to the hospital. The Montgomery Co. Sheriff's Office says the woman is not facing any charges at this time.
There will be a hearing Tuesday for the child, who's believed to be around 3 years old, to be placed into foster care.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Man collapses in street and dies in SW Houston
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Suspect to bank teller: 'I'm having a bad day'
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck 8 min ago
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope
- 'Operation Safe-T-Net' results in child porn charges
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Lombardi Award finalists hang with kids from TCH
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos