Mom drops her kid to flee authorities; has medical emergency while being taken into custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sheriff's deputies say a woman dropped her young child in a gas station parking lot while fleeing authorities in Montgomery County.
Deputies were trying to do a welfare check on the woman but when she spotted them at the station on State Highway 242, she dropped the child and ran across the highway and down the embankment of Caney Creek.
One deputy stayed with the child and another ran after her. Deputies say she swam across the river and the deputy crossed on some rocks and followed. He was able to catch the mother, but while he was escorting her back to the car she had some sort of medical emergency.
She was eventually evacuated using a fire truck's rescue basket and taken to the hospital. The Montgomery Co. Sheriff's Office says the woman is not facing any charges at this time.
There will be a hearing Tuesday for the child, who's believed to be around 3 years old, to be placed into foster care.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- Sketch of suspect in west Houston sexual assault released
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested 34 min ago
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- 13 Things to Know for Friday 40 min ago
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- Party big... and save big too! 57 min ago
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Surgeons remove tiger's basketball-sized...
22 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos