Mom drops her kid to flee authorities; has medical emergency while being taken into custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Sheriff's deputies say a woman dropped her young child in a gas station parking lot while fleeing authorities in Montgomery County.
Deputies were trying to do a welfare check on the woman but when she spotted them at the station on State Highway 242, she dropped the child and ran across the highway and down the embankment of Caney Creek.
One deputy stayed with the child and another ran after her. Deputies say she swam across the river and the deputy crossed on some rocks and followed. He was able to catch the mother, but while he was escorting her back to the car she had some sort of medical emergency.
She was eventually evacuated using a fire truck's rescue basket and taken to the hospital. The Montgomery Co. Sheriff's Office says the woman is not facing any charges at this time.
There will be a hearing Tuesday for the child, who's believed to be around 3 years old, to be placed into foster care.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Rain falling across our area 1 min ago
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 46 min ago
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns 44 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders