Houston surgeon gets 10 years for child porn
HOUSTON -- A Houston surgeon who pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison
U.S. District Court Judge Lee Rosenthal Tuesday also ordered 73-year-old Dr. Bernard Albina to pay a $75,000 fine and spend the rest of his life on probation once his sentence is completed. He also must register as a sex offender.
The sentence is the maximum the judge could impose.
Albina was arrested last year and has been in custody since then because he was considered a flight risk.
Prosecutors say Albina since 2003 inappropriately associated with several young boys and took photos of some of them. Search warrants led to discovery dozens of CDs, DVDs, video tapes and printed images containing child pornography.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling 18 min ago
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston 47 min ago
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health 15 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded