New red light cameras going up in Sugar Land
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- Drivers in the Sugar Land area can expect more red light cameras coming next month.
Red light cameras are being installed at the westbound approach of US Highway 90A at Dairy Ashford and the northbound approach of Dairy Ashford at US Highway 90A. The new cameras are expected to be operational in April. City leaders say warning citations will be issued for 30 days as motorists become accustomed to the new cameras.
Current camera locations include:
- US Highway 59 at State Highway 6
- State Highway 6 at Lexington Boulevard
- West Airport Boulevard at Eldridge Parkway
Known as Safe Light Sugar Land, officials say the program is intended to improve the safety of high-volume intersections.
"If everyone complied with these laws at all times, there would be no accidents," said Assistant City Manager Steve Griffith. "Our goal in traffic enforcement is to save lives, reduce injuries and minimize property loss."
Since the installation of Sugar Land's red light cameras at current locations, officials claim accidents have decreased more than 58 percent at targeted intersections.
American Traffic Solutions, Incorporated operates all aspects of Sugar Land's photographic traffic signal enforcement system.
The owner of a vehicle photographed running a red light is subject to a $75 fine. State law requires payment of the civil fine. The revenue from red light penalties is split between the state and a special account to fund traffic safety programs, intersection improvements, public safety programs and traffic enforcement, including the Safe Light Sugar Land initiative.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust 15 min ago
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 34 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course