Man's remains identified nearly 4 years after disappearance
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Nearly four years after his disappearance, a family finally has confirmation on what happened to their loved one.
In May 2009, the Conroe Police Department received a report from concerned family members of Layron Carey, 67, stating they had not seen or heard from Carey since his apparent release from the Montgomery County Jail on May 22, 2009. Conroe Police Investigators conducted an investigation, along with Texas EquuSearch following numerous leads on the possible whereabouts of Carey but were unable to locate him.
On August 8, 2012 skeletal remains were found in the area of 101 Criminal Justice Drive. The remains were located in a heavily wooded area that was in the process of being cleared of trees and brush. Several personal items were found near the remains indicating the possible identity to be Layron Carey. DNA samples from the found remains and DNA samples from Carey's living relative were sent to the University of North Texas Health and Science Center for comparison.
On March 13, the Conroe Police Department received notification that the remains were consistent with the biological sample provided by Carey's living relative.
Police found no evidence of foul play and believe Carey died of natural causes while attempting to take a short cut through the wooded area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation 7 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dead body found in pickup in Richmond 10 min ago
- Third person dies following SXSW accident 5 min ago
- Armed suspect shot, killed by officer in Baytown 2 min ago
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
13 min ago