Man's remains identified nearly 4 years after disappearance
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- Nearly four years after his disappearance, a family finally has confirmation on what happened to their loved one.
In May 2009, the Conroe Police Department received a report from concerned family members of Layron Carey, 67, stating they had not seen or heard from Carey since his apparent release from the Montgomery County Jail on May 22, 2009. Conroe Police Investigators conducted an investigation, along with Texas EquuSearch following numerous leads on the possible whereabouts of Carey but were unable to locate him.
On August 8, 2012 skeletal remains were found in the area of 101 Criminal Justice Drive. The remains were located in a heavily wooded area that was in the process of being cleared of trees and brush. Several personal items were found near the remains indicating the possible identity to be Layron Carey. DNA samples from the found remains and DNA samples from Carey's living relative were sent to the University of North Texas Health and Science Center for comparison.
On March 13, the Conroe Police Department received notification that the remains were consistent with the biological sample provided by Carey's living relative.
Police found no evidence of foul play and believe Carey died of natural causes while attempting to take a short cut through the wooded area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat