Officials locate suspect who fled into Greens Bayou
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A manhunt ended with the arrest of a driver who crashed his SUV into a sewer pipe while running from sheriff's deputies.
After hours of searching, deputies located the suspect hiding in the bayou. When they brought him out, he was on oxygen and in handcuffs.
The man had led deputies on a brief chase up Wallisville Road. Authorities say he'd refused to stop when they tried to pull him over allegedly for speeding. That pursuit ended when the driver slammed his SUV into the side of the bridge over Greens Bayou. The impact severed a sewage line, spewing raw sewage into the air.
Investigators say the driver dove into the bayou. For several hours they could not find him. Then, just before 5pm, word came that they'd discovered him over to the west in the bayou.
"Some citizens pointed out that they thought something was in the weeds along the water line," said Sgt. Gary L. Harrison with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "The diver deployed. When he made his way and when he got there, he found the suspect still in the water, hiding under the water or foliage on top of the water."
The water is cold, at about 50 degrees. The suspect, whose identity has not yet been released, showed signs of hypothermia. Investigators say they discovered drugs and a large amount of money in that SUV. No word yet on possible charges against the driver.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Young artists put on unique display
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods