Officials locate suspect who fled into Greens Bayou
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A manhunt ended with the arrest of a driver who crashed his SUV into a sewer pipe while running from sheriff's deputies.
After hours of searching, deputies located the suspect hiding in the bayou. When they brought him out, he was on oxygen and in handcuffs.
The man had led deputies on a brief chase up Wallisville Road. Authorities say he'd refused to stop when they tried to pull him over allegedly for speeding. That pursuit ended when the driver slammed his SUV into the side of the bridge over Greens Bayou. The impact severed a sewage line, spewing raw sewage into the air.
Investigators say the driver dove into the bayou. For several hours they could not find him. Then, just before 5pm, word came that they'd discovered him over to the west in the bayou.
"Some citizens pointed out that they thought something was in the weeds along the water line," said Sgt. Gary L. Harrison with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "The diver deployed. When he made his way and when he got there, he found the suspect still in the water, hiding under the water or foliage on top of the water."
The water is cold, at about 50 degrees. The suspect, whose identity has not yet been released, showed signs of hypothermia. Investigators say they discovered drugs and a large amount of money in that SUV. No word yet on possible charges against the driver.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 57 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Winter Weather advisory for several local counties
- South Africans pray for Mandela 13 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's 22 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- Rice wins C-USA title with 41-24 win over Marshall
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Drivers stuck on icy I-35 as cold blast hits Texas