Family of Tomball teacher killed in 1993 relieved by news of suspect's arrest
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The family and friends of a beloved Tomball teacher are feeling some peace after decades of anguish. Nearly 20 years after her murder, investigators say they have found and arrested the man who did it.
The suspect should arrive at the Harris County courthouse within a few weeks. The son of the victim says he never gave up hope for justice.
It was a day that rocked the community of 10,000. On August 10, 1993, a retired school teacher-turned-librarian was sexually assaulted and murdered in her own home, the back door broken. A Meals on Wheels volunteer discovered the gruesome scene.
Police believed Mildred Stallones was killed because she fought back.
"We made sure that we provided our due diligence to keep the case alive," Captain Rickey Doerre said.
It was personal for Doerre. He remembers the woman who ran the town library near the baseball field.
"We'd go in there and check out books from her. I just remember a very kind woman," he said.
Investigators say they knew who their man was pretty quickly. Alfredo Ramirez-Rosas, then 23 years old, lived just 50 yards from the victim.
"We knew that the suspect had fled back to Mexico," Doerre said.
But Ramirez-Rosas was the top man on Tomball's Most Wanted List until this week.
"He's had a life of freedom that Miss Stallones never, unfortunately, got to enjoy," Tomball PD Detective Ron McGullion said.
"To be able to provide some type of resolution for the family, I don't know that I can really explain how that feels," Doerre said.
Leighton Stallones can tell you. He's of the victim's three children.
"A very loved lady in town," Stallones said. "An emotional situation, relief I guess is certainly the right word to have this nightmare at least beginning to come to a close."
One of the things that helped expedite the case recently was the decision to not pursue the death penalty. The family and DA's office have agreed the maximum Rosas can get will be life in prison.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
tomball, local, christine dobbyn
- Drug agents: 'Unfit for human consumption' 22 min ago
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston 1 min ago
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Women behind aggravated robbery caught on video 6 min ago
- Suspected molester to cops: 'I need help' 56 min ago
- 'Pastor' indicted in real estate investment scam 50 min ago
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car
- Vendor fired, took snow cones into bathroom
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets burgers for life
- Surgeons remove tiger's basketball-sized hairball 14 min ago
- otrc: New 'Man of Steel' trailer 30 min ago
- abcnews: SI model to attend prom with teen 32 min ago
- GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
33 min ago