14th annual Cesar Chavez Parade to wind through east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The 14th annual Cesar Chavez Parade takes place today in Houston's East End.
This event brings Houstonians together to honor Latino heritage and celebrate the life and work of Chavez, the Mexican-American labor activist who founded the United Farm Workers of America. He died in 1993.
The parade begins at 10am in the 600 block of Cesar Chavez Boulevard. It will end at Hidalgo Park, where organizers and community groups will have several activities for visitors.
This year's parade will honor the late State Senator Mario Gallegos. The grand marshal will be State Senator Sylvia Garcia, who won a special election to succeed him.
Click here for the complete parade route.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 52 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 48 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days