14th annual Cesar Chavez Parade to wind through east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The 14th annual Cesar Chavez Parade takes place today in Houston's East End.
This event brings Houstonians together to honor Latino heritage and celebrate the life and work of Chavez, the Mexican-American labor activist who founded the United Farm Workers of America. He died in 1993.
The parade begins at 10am in the 600 block of Cesar Chavez Boulevard. It will end at Hidalgo Park, where organizers and community groups will have several activities for visitors.
This year's parade will honor the late State Senator Mario Gallegos. The grand marshal will be State Senator Sylvia Garcia, who won a special election to succeed him.
Click here for the complete parade route.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 9 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 19 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage 27 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
37 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
18 min ago