SWAT standoff ends in northeast Houston with one dead, suspect shot
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A northeast Houston man was discovered dead by SWAT team officers after his son allegedly held him at bay for hours. That son is now in the hospital after he was shot by SWAT team members.
The five-hour standoff ended in gunfire. Houston police received call around 5:30am Saturday from a man saying his son was threatening him with a knife. When an officer arrived at the home in the 7400 block of Banyan, it was dark.
"Dispatch called the number back and was told by someone who answered the phone that no one had called and there was no issue there," HPD spokesman Kese Smith said.
But police say when the officer went to the door, it became clear something was wrong.
"As the officer is putting his hand on the door, he heard a shot fired," Smith said.
Officers then called in the SWAT team. Family members told officers the man inside suffered from mental health problems.
"They put a sister of the suspect on loudspeakers as an effort to have a family member reach him and get him to just come out peacefully," Smith said.
After about five hours, a group of officers tried to break in through a back window to rescue the man's father, while an armored vehicle broke down the front door. They say the man inside fired again, then tried to run out the back door.
"The officers in the back then had the suspect come out the back door -- armed with a shotgun, which he then raised," Smith said.
Police say two SWAT officers opened fire, hitting the man in the torso. He was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital.
Once inside, officer's found the man's father, 83-year-old Andrew Thibodeaux. He had been stabbed and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police have not released the identity of the suspect nor given any information about his condition. We just know that he.
The suspect, Nyles Thibodeaux, underwent surgery earlier in the morning and is still in critical but stable condition at the hospital.
He faces charges of murder and aggravated assault on a public servant.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale