Cleveland family of four killed in Montgomery County collision
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Investigators say a Cleveland couple and their two children were killed in a collision in Montgomery County Saturday morning.
The accident happened just after 5:30am on Highway 105 just before Old 105. Investigators say it was raining heavily at the time.
According to authorities, Kevin Golden was coming down an overpass when his Dodge Ram pickup truck veered into oncoming traffic and collided with the Clouse family's Volkswagen Jetta. The Jetta slammed into the passenger door of Golden's truck and filled upside down.
Detectives say 27-year-old Jennifer Clouse, her husband Nathan, and two children -- six-year-old Jorden and eight-year-old Bailey -- all died at the scene. The family was headed to Conroe to drop off Nathan off at work.
Golden, 40, was trapped inside his pickup and had to be extricated by Cut and Shoot and Splendora firefighters. Because of the severe weather, LifeFlight could not be dispatched to the scene, so he transported via ambulance to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center. He is listed in critical condition.
Investigators say the impact of the collision was so severe that the Jetta's engine flew off the car and landed on the road, triggering a few other accidents.
Detectives say a driver heading westbound on Highway 105 struck the engine and sent it flying down the road, where yet another person slammed right into it. Detectives say a fifth driver also slammed into one of the wheels that had broken off Golden's truck.
None of those drivers were injured.
Detectives closed State Highway 105 until almost 1pm to investigate the crash. Authorities do not suspect alcohol was a factor in the accident but say the weather did play a part.
Montgomery County Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace James Metts said in his 10 years of service to East Montgomery County, this was by far the worst he had seen and the most fatalities in a single event.
A Houston DPS Trooper along with Montgomery County Assistant District Attorney Warren Diepraam went to Hermann Hospital to interview Golden.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW 53 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'