Driver dies after crashing into bayou in east Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- For the second time in less than two weeks, a driver has crashed into the bayou and didn't make it out alive in east Houston.
The most recent accident happened on Cesar Chavez near Avenue W. When police and EMS got to the scene a little after midnight, they didn't see any sign of the pickup.
Officers called in the dive team, but it took divers almost 45 minutes just to find the vehicle. By the time they got to the driver, it was too late. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police say the driver, a man in his late teens or early 20s, was likely speeding when he crashed.
"For some reason, he failed to control speed, busted through the chain link fence behind us, went airborne and went into the bayou behind us," said Sgt. Javier Tapia with the Houston Police Department.
Officers say the driver lived in the area, but for whatever reason, didn't see the curve coming.
Authorities will be looking into whether alcohol might have been a factor in the crash. The driver has not yet been identified.
This is the second fatal crash at this spot in the last couple of weeks. Earlier this month, a driver was traveling at a high rate of speed when he crashed through the fence of a business in the same location. The car went flying into Buffalo Bayou, landing upside down in about 25 feet of water. Dive teams pulled the victim's body after discovering the car.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale