Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Parents are in disbelief over allegations of a sexual relationship between a teacher and student, which led to a Northbrook High School teacher losing her job.
At Northbrook High School in Spring Branch ISD, students were buzzing about a former teacher now charged with a crime.
Kathanna Culp, 28, is a former teacher with a law degree, accused of having sex with an 18-year-old former student. We tried to talk to Culp at her Montrose area apartment, but she slammed the door in our face.
She wouldn't talk to us, but court documents allege Culp had sex with the former student on numerous occasions in her apartment. She even allegedly supplied alcohol and marijuana to the student and his friends sometime last year.
Sammy, a student at Northbrook, said, "It's, like, insane, because all the teachers here are really nice. I never expected that to happen."
Court documents said the teacher communicated with students on social media, and her Twitter feed is still active, showing her last tweet on December 18, around the time she was fired. It mentioned testing: "Sorry I'm not there. Something very personal came up."
Culp, whose employment with the district was terminated in December 2012, was arrested on Wednesday, March 20. She is charged with improper relationship with a student.
"This kind of outrageous, illegal conduct will never be tolerated in this school district," SBISD Superintendent of Schools Duncan Klussmann said. "We will always aggressively investigate any allegation of impropriety by any teacher or any other employee, and we will take the strongest possible action against such employees when these allegations are proven true. Our first priority every day is the safety of every student. We will continue to work closely with law enforcement authorities and urge that if these allegations are true, this former employee be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."
Students find the whole saga hard to believe.
"She doesn't look like the type of woman to do that, to me," said student D'andre King. "I don't think she really did it."
Culp is out on bond. Her next court appearance is in April.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, miya shay
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 16 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 38 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug