Female Spring ISD workroom aide accused of having sex with female student
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Yet another school employee in our area is accused of crossing the line with a student. A female teacher's aide at Smith Elementary School in Spring is accused of an improper relationship with a teenage girl.
Parents tell us students at Smith Elementary called Katherine Alana Gricar, "Ms. Katie." We're told the 24-year-old was a workroom aide there.
Now Gricar is accused of having a sexual relationship with a girl enrolled at Spring High School who was 17 at the time.
"Wow, that's right down the street. That's very close to our home," said parent Jessica Sutphen.
Parents across Spring ISD are calling the allegations against Gricar disturbing.
Detectives say the school aide befriended the teen's mom and agreed to move in with them briefly to help out the girl, who's a homebound student at Spring High.
Investigators say Gricar admitted she wanted a relationship with the student, and allegedly told investigators on Feb. 13 she left Smith during her lunch break to pick the teen up to have intimate times at her house.
"It makes me want to home school my child. I don't want to put him in any risk," Sutphen said.
Court documents state the mother says the girl told her she kissed Gricar and that she caught the two of them together in the daughter's locked bedroom.
Gricar resigned from Smith Elementary last week. The school's principal has notified parents about Gricar's arrest, telling them, "The alleged relationship did not take place on Spring ISD property...and investigations like this are taken seriously.
Gricar is charged with improper relationship with a student. She is out of jail on $30,000 bond.
She's scheduled to go back to court on April 1. If convicted, she faces 2 to 20 years in prison.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Rice defeats Marshall in C-USA championship
- 4.5 magnitude earthquake rattles central Oklahoma
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns 2 min ago
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice stalls sections of I-35 in North Texas
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow
- Cold, damp weather to continue