Man brain dead after drive-by shooting in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An early Saturday morning shooting on a southwest Houston street left a teenager gravely injured, and police searching for the suspects.
It was frantic and frightening early morning on Wilcrest at Village Bend.
Police say around 2am, five friends were in a car headed southbound on Wilcrest when a light-colored sedan pulled up beside them and opened fire. A 17-year-old passenger was shot in the head and is now in critical condition.
"I came outside to look, and it was a little boy on the corner in the car. They had shot him in the face," neighbor Jackie Bingham said.
Bingham, who works as a nurse, says she tried to help the teen. His friends told her they had just left a party nearby.
"The kids that were outside, they were just like, 'I don't know why they did this. We weren't bothering them, it just happened. I don't know why, I don't know why,'" Bingham said the teens told her.
A block away, Martha Gavidia was sleeping when she heard about seven gunshots outside her window.
"I just went straight to my kids' room, got down and I just dialed 9-1-1," she said.
The shooting happened within yards of Gavidia's windows. Luckily, non of the bullets found their way into any homes.
"I was scared for my life, because we live right here, and the windows are right here," she said. "I really thought the bullets were going to go through."
According to police, the teen suffered a serious brain injury and was rushed to Ben Taub General Hospital. Doctors say he is brain dead and may not survive.
Bingham can't get the images out of her head.
"It's bad. Can't sleep. Scared for my kids," she said. "This whole thing has thrown me for a loop, period."
Police are now searching for as many as three suspects who were seen leaving in a four-dour sedan, possible a gold Toyota Camry. They've been described only as black and between the ages 16 and 18.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 32 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers 50 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin