Baby killed, teen mother injured after being struck by car in southeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A baby died and a teen mother was injured when they were struck by an out-of-control car Monday in southeast Houston.
It happened around 1pm on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at Reed Road.
Police blocked the street for hours during their investigation. Neighbors said the victims didn't look good immediately after the crash.
We're told the injured 18-year-old mother was holding the seven-month-old baby and trying to cross Martin Luther King when the accident happened.
According to eyewitnesses, the driver of a tan Ford F-150 suddenly stopped in the middle of the street moments before the crash. They say a black car then tried swerving around that truck, clipping its front end. When that car corrected, it crashed into the woman and infant.
Several neighbors said they, along with the driver of that car, rushed to help the seriously injured victims until emergency workers arrived. One neighbor, Cornelius Alex, described what he saw during that horrific crash.
"I saw the baby fly in the air and land over here," he recalled. "I ran to get my sister because she is a nurse, but a lady across the street here, she ran and picked up the baby and started doing CPR on the baby. She said the baby doesn't have a pulse, so do CPR."
Neighbors said the woman appeared dazed and the child appeared unconscious as they were loaded onto an ambulance. According to police, the mother is listed as stable, but the seven-month-old suffered severe head injuries and later died.
The accident remains under investigation.
local, demond fernandez
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'