METRO train strikes SUV in Museum District
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- More than a dozen METRO light rail riders were recovering from injuries Wednesday after a collision near Hermann Park.
It happened around 1pm next to the Mecom Fountain on Main near Sunset.
Dominic Bonavolonta was looking out the window of the METRORail when he saw Ford Expedition driving alongside the train.
"The SUV was riding alongside the train and it just turned into it," Bonavolonta said. "Apparently didn't hear the train or see the train, and the train just pushed it along the tracks."
Witnesses say the train pushed the SUV slowly along the tracks before coming to a stop. Eleven METRO rail riders were taken to area hospitals with injuries, and another two claimed they were injured but were not transported.
Riders say the collision was fairly slow.
"The train hit the truck, spun it around a little bit, and into the pole," METRO passenger Linda Gilbert said. "It wasn't a very violent collision."
METRO officials say the train suffered minor damage. The SUV driver was cited for making an illegal left turn.
A full investigation is underway, but some riders just wondered why the driver apparently didn't see the train.
"People need to watch where they're driving and how they're driving, because these trains can't stop on a dime," Gilbert said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, miya shay
- Do you know this fake cop rapist? 49 min ago
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket 34 min ago
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Former detention officer charged with official oppresssion 45 min ago
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat