Suspect arrested after crime spree in north Harris Co.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Charges are pending against a man who allegedly went on a wild overnight crime spree in north Harris County.
Police say he burglarized homes and stole cars from a number of locations in the Northgate Crossing area. He was eventually caught along the North Freeway between Airtex and Richey.
Neighbors this morning heard car alarms going off on Calico Ridge, and at one house down the street, a homeowner startled the suspect just before he broke into his pickup.
"As I looked out the door, the man was just jogging right up the street with a shotgun in his hand," said resident Gray Wagner.
Wagner had just come home last night when he found himself face to face with a man armed with a shotgun.
"He didn't notice me standing here, and he reared the gun up like he was going to smash my window," Wagner said. "And as he reared the gun up, I was like, 'Hey, what are you doing?'"
Wagner says the man ran down the street, and in spite of the gun, he instinctively chased after him.
"Just as he made that curve, he turned around and told me I should stop where I was," he said.
From there, police say the suspect went to the 900 block of Taylor Ridge, where he stole a car.
Before running into Wagner, police say the suspect had already stolen and ditched one car, and broken into a home, where he stole two guns.
Kalin Reed first heard car alarms, then police.
"I couldn't sleep at all last night. I stayed awake. And every time a car passed, I looked out my window because I didn't know who it could be. I didn't know what it was," she said.
After spotting the stolen car, police followed the suspect to the 15300 block of I-45, where he bailed out and ran. A K-9 unit finally found him and he was taken into custody.
"That is a huge, huge relief. I feel like I can sleep a lot better at night now," said Reed.
The suspect was treated at the scene for a dog bite. He faces several charges including burglary and armed robbery.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston