2 rescued from sinking sailboat in Galveston
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Galveston police joined forces with the United States Coast Guard to rescue two people from a sinking sailboat Saturday night.
The distress call came in around 9:45pm from a 45-foot sailboat. According to Galveston police, the boat smashed against the rocks of a jetty and was taking on water, but the vessel's location was unknown.
Authorities searched the waters and found the sailboat on the north jetty of Galveston with a damaged bow. The boat appeared to be tilting almost 90 degrees at times, officials said.
A smaller vessel operated by Seatow was able to approach and retrieve the two boaters while Galveston police stood by with a rescue swimmer.
Both boaters were recovered, and no injuries were reported.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Winter Weather advisory for several local counties
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 3 min ago
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- Rice wins C-USA title with 41-24 win over Marshall
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Drivers stuck on icy I-35 as cold blast hits Texas
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea