2 rescued from sinking sailboat in Galveston
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Galveston police joined forces with the United States Coast Guard to rescue two people from a sinking sailboat Saturday night.
The distress call came in around 9:45pm from a 45-foot sailboat. According to Galveston police, the boat smashed against the rocks of a jetty and was taking on water, but the vessel's location was unknown.
Authorities searched the waters and found the sailboat on the north jetty of Galveston with a damaged bow. The boat appeared to be tilting almost 90 degrees at times, officials said.
A smaller vessel operated by Seatow was able to approach and retrieve the two boaters while Galveston police stood by with a rescue swimmer.
Both boaters were recovered, and no injuries were reported.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 13 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 8 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 1 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 3 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
1 min ago