Activists voice concerns over immigration reform
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The debate over immigration reform is front and center once again. A group of senators on both sides of the aisle is expected to unveil details of a compromise this week.
It's expected to include an earned path to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants and a focus on border security. Houstonians are already weighing in.
Immigration reform is a complex issue and among Houston's diverse immigration community there are different opinions on what should be included in a comprehensive immigration plan. Among a group of immigration reform activists out protesting on Monday, Cesar Espinoza has more at stake than most.
"I am an undocumented immigrant in the United States," Espinoza said. "My parents brought me here at a very young age, search of a better life, the American dream."
The complexities and quirks in the current immigration system mean the 27-year-old has no official papers, even though his parents and several siblings have become citizens. That's why he and others are planning a Wednesday march, in part to try to convince Texas senators Ted Cruz and John Cornyn to support a pathway to citizenship.
Immigration activist Maria Mela Acuna said, "We are hopeful that immigration reform will have a pathway to citizenship."
Across town, members of Houston's Asian American community and two members of congress voiced their own concerns that immigration reform might actually reduce the number of family reunification visas currently available.
"We must continue to have a strong family reunification policy," Rep. Al Green stressed.
They pointed out many Asian families must wait for decades for relatives to get US visas. As for Cesar, he would love to see his grandparents someday.
"I haven't seen my grandparents since I came here," he said.
We tried to contact Senator Cruz's office Monday but didn't receive a response by late afternoon. But a bi-partisan group of senators are expected to release their plan later this week and a lot of people will be watching.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, miya shay
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas 33 min ago
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released 34 min ago
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations 31 min ago
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison 50 min ago
- Man held up on his way home from bank 38 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- Make-A-Wish lets boy fly like Iron Man 44 min ago
- 'No hooking' billboard curbs prostitution in neighborhood 35 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos