Family sues over man's stun gun death
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston family says their loved one was killed by Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies who stunned him with a Taser nearly three dozen times. The man's family claims deputies beat him and continued to stun the man, eventually causing his death.
Herman Barnes had a history of mental illness. He was killed in 2006. Now attorneys for his family are suing former Harris County Sheriff Tommy Thomas and several deputies, blaming them for his death.
A family attorney says Harris County Sheriff's deputies entered Barnes' home without reason and used excessive force on him. According to a lawsuit filed in federal court on Barnes' behalf, Barnes suffered several abrasions from his forehead to his face, neck, chest, down to his lower back.
The lawsuit states deputies beat Barnes with a nightstick and shocked him with a Taser more than 30 times. At times he was partially handcuffed, pinned to the ground and "drive stunned"-- blasted directly in the neck. The lawsuit further states, per Harris County records, that Barnes suffered Taser shocks for a total of 123 seconds.
Civil rights attorney for the plaintiff, Anthony Griffin, says Harris County failed to properly train its officers in the use of Tasers and that those officers acted with deliberate indifference, ultimately leading to Barnes' death.
In addition to Thomas, the individual defendants named in the lawsuit are Andy Viruette Jr., Juan Celestial, Nicholas Carter, George W. Ellington, Rex Evans, Kevin Sims, Gregg Board and Andy Hulsey. Officials tell us at least one of the individual defendants is no longer a law enforcement officer.
Harris County was intitially listed as a defendant and subsequently dropped. The suit also names real estate management company Hettig/Kahn Holdings and TASER International, manufacturer of the stun gun used by HCSO, as defendants.
local, sonia azad
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 27 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 29 min ago
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal
- Police: Man pelted woman at egg decorating party 28 min ago
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20 8 min ago
- Sleeping girl killed after car drives into home 40 min ago
- Moose turns on snowmobilers
44 min ago