Mother, 47, killed in hit-and-run accident while celebrating birthday in Midtown
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 47-year-old mother of three was killed in a hit and run accident after celebrating her birthday this weekend.
It was supposed to be a special birthday for Vanessa Nguyen. Now her children are planning her funeral.
"I don't know why they couldn't just stop or how they could just hit someone and not think two seconds about doing anything and just kept going," said her son , Polo Ma. "They didn't slow down. They didn't think about anything."
Nguyen was getting into a vehicle on McGowen in Midtown Sunday about 1:30am when a white SUV hit her and never stopped. Friends tried to run after the SUV, possibly a white Toyota, but couldn't catch it.
"A white SUV came out of nowhere and hit her. She had a cut by her neck," Ma said.
Nguyen was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, but later died.
Nguyen, the owner of a hair salon in Bellaire, leaves behind three college-aged children. They want the driver to do right thing and come forward or for someone to turn him or her in.
"It's not even real. It's not even possible someone could be able to do that. If they have any heart, how would they be able to just go?" said her daughter, Phiphi Ma.
Nguyen would have turned 48 on April 26. Her funeral is scheduled for Saturday.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Houston police.
local, erik barajas
- Severe weather possible this morning 28 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 6 min ago
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses